The hullabaloo on the interweb about the newly unveiled costume for Wonder Woman relaunch got me thinking about the role fashion/costume designs play in the sci-fi world. I also admit I was once addicted to GoFugYourself and it fed my love of bad fashion and take more notice of the crazy than the beautiful and tasteful.
There is the iconic bad fashion in the sci-fi world- the unitards of the Start Trek world, the tacky yet launching of a thousand boys’ fantasies costumes of Barbarella, Leia’s metallic bikini from Return of the Jedi (serving as perhaps the Barbarella of the 80′s), and Doctor Who Tom Baker’s fugly yet awesome scarf.
After brief deliberation, I bring you my hall of fame for the tacky and terrible in sci-fi costuming over the last decade or two.
- Buffy Summers (the early years). Where was the flood, Buffy? Seriously. I can’t believe Sarah Michelle Gellar agreed to wear those ankle bearing pants- and with a heel!
- The WB strikes again- Charmed’s Phoebe Hollowell. Pink fuzzy cropped sweaters (three crimes against fashion!). Each outfit was a perfect example of boob/midriff baring strategery. The “wonderful” white, sheer two piece pictured below was for a ball!
- My fashion icon Milla Jovovich ended up in crazy twice. Once as Leeloo in The Fifth Element -clad in rubber suspenders or Ace bandages and as Alice in Resident Evil Apocalypse – seriously, what was the point of the missing pant let that wasn’t just gone but rather acting as a big leg warmer. And further distracting from my film enjoyment as I wondered what was keeping the leg up? And what was with the fishnetting? Wouldn’t it be asking for a zombie digit to get caught up in there?
- Isabel Evans from Roswell. Somewhere during season 2 I believe they turned Katherine Heigl’s character into a leather fiend. Did aliens hate cows so much?
- I’m too tired for a fifth but Milla should count for two so there ya go.
Next I promise a more serious post but until then peruse the hidiosity (and Barbarella for a kick). And while you are inspired by bad fashion- what looks have made you go “What the ???” in geek world?
Stuff we geek out about…
- A Little Something for the Fellas (2)
- A Little Something for the Ladies (9)
- Avengers Boot Camp (9)
- Before the Movie – Trailers (13)
- Editorials and Reviews (135)
- Interviews (19)
- Miscellaneous Geekery (48)
- Nostalgia (17)
- Sandman Re-Read (11)
- Three Favorite Things (4)
What we JUST said…
- All the Posts I Meant to Write this Month, Abridged
- Hemlock Grove-A New Guilty Pleasure
- Deborah Harkness and A Discovery of Witches
- Syfy’s Defiance- Hope They Didn’t Blow the Budget on a Song
- Cover Reveal for the New Liz Long Novel Witch Hearts
- From Gen-X, To Chris Hardwick With Love
- Before the Movie: G.I. Joe Retaliation